locked Re: Question on audio alert options by band

Tom Melvin

Comments all fine Hasan

I do know there a quite a few Scottish stations (MMxyyyy) are very active on 6m Es - while we are slightly further north so I suspect when 6M opens to USA you will get the G’s to the south, that will be enough to trip your alert, by the time it reaches us you are well aware there is opening.

So your G% will work well and for any others wanting to set something similar

Regards

Tom
GM8MJV

On 6 Jun 2020, at 23:04, Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

Laurie and Tom:

Keep in mind that goal was 6 meter ALERT for DX outside USA/CANADA.

The approach was based on Laurie's warning not to overload the Misc. Alert file. So my thinking was:

How often on 6m have I seen no G prefix, but have seen M prefix? For me, it's been nearly never. So G is used to take advantage of GM,GW, etc. So if 6m is open to EU, (UK), then I'm highly likely to see G.

If this approach is used all over the world, then selecting a few populated DX prefixes should catch many if not most band openings on 6m.

It was Laurie's warning that kept me from going too far and just get the biggest areas covered. I read that warning and took it to heart.

I have been watching the effects of the Misc Alert file I'm using and it has had virtually no impact on 6 meters, even during a pretty good opening, because the number of decodes per sequence is maybe 15 or 20 when things are just wild....but on 20 meters, it is easy to get > 30 decode per sequence and while this didn't cause any untoward symptoms, I could see a dramatic increase in CPU utilization at the end of the decode periods. I was seeing up to 75% CPU utilization on 20m, but no more than 15-25% on 6m when 6 was busy.

Of course, part of that load is from X itself!

Core I5, 3 GHz, 8 gB RAM, Win10Pro, Latest X 2.2.1, and a full DXLabSuite running along with 4 Browser tabs and a few other utilities.

Running latest Beta JTA atm.

I have gotten 3 new DXCC on 6 meters in the last 10 days and have been alerted to KL7HBK twice, but was not able to catch him in time, as it was a peek-a-boo opening that was one and done.

Misc Alerts are fantastic for 6 meters.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 4:26 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 7/06/2020 6:54 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
Remember to add M% for UK as well

Just make sure you don't go crazy with the number of wildcards.
From the "Wanted Callsign" topic in the help file...
Important : Wildcard matching is an expensive task, processing wise, and can lead to delays in decode alerting if there are many wildcards defined, especially if there are many decodes to process on a busy band. It is recommended that the number of wildcard filters be kept to a minimum, preferably less than 20.

The above was written when the Bands were not so busy and the number of decodes per period produced by WSJT-X was less than the now normal. 20 may now be too high depending on the Bands used and the capability of the PC running a JTAlert.