locked Re: ACLog shows only (incorrect) 6m freq before logging


WB8ASI Herb
 

You'll like JTAlert.  I have JTA initiating the logging, providing all alerts and alert colors.  Only use WSJTX for the decoding.  Keeps it simple and works great.  Good luck. 73, Herb WB8ASI

On March 29, 2020 at 5:40 PM Dev Null <aptget@...> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:25 PM, Dave Garber wrote:
as long as I log after transmit is ended, n3fjp logs fine cat or no cat.    the new norm is to log not the frequency of the radio, but the frequency + HZ addition to it that you were transmitting on.   I dont like, but someone thought it was a better idea..
OK. There was a lot more going on than what ACLog was doing or not doing. Mostly having to do with my own lack of understanding JTAlert. Here is the full sequence of events:

I have been running WSJT-X + JTAlert + ACLog for about six months, made a couple hundred contacts over the winter that way. I do remember that I had rig control enabled on both WSJT-X and ACLog at first. That worked for a while, but eventually caused problems, and not a whole lot seemed different after I turned it off in ACLog, Of course, now I know that this is what caused my current concern - "incorrect" frequency/band on the capture window of ACLog. I am lazy, and since it put the correct info in the log, I didn't worry about it until now, because I finally had some time to get to the bottom of it.

The only thing I disliked about this arrangement was that since I was relying on ACLog for B4 status, previous QSO's etc. - that was broken. I must say - the "modular" nature of the three programs I am using, all of which overlap, is actually a big pain. To put it another way, I simply had no idea that the same functionality was in JTAlert. Until today, I just thought of it as a simple utility that lets WSJT-X talk to other software. You will, in fact, see many such reference on line. Little did I know.

So - I decided to give DXkeeper (another) try. I had used it for many years, back in my CW DX days, from around 2005 to 2012. I still have the MDBs from back then, but unfortunately that doesn't get me much without an export. Not really a problem, as LOTW is my real log now.

So I spent about 4 hours today making that change. Everything works. I also now have JTAlert showing some of the information that I was expecting ACLog to handle. My needs are simple -
is it a new one?
Is it a new state on FT8?
Is it a new state on this band on FT8?
Is it a new country on FT8?
Is it a new country on this band with FT8?
And so on.

I actually am still not really answering all those questions the way I would like. Even with this arrangement, the only way I can get some of this is by pretending to call someone. What I really want is for JTAlert to show all that before I transmit. Somehow. It probably can. So I will spend some more time studying JTAlert, which is an awesome program. 

Finally. DXKeeper is overkill for me in my old age. That is why I went to ACLog in the first place. Been using it for FD since the 90's. Scott has a real sense of simplicity, and no unnecessary features. I may go back. In fact, now that I have massaged my log data with DXKeeper, doing a clean install of ACLog and exporting back would be a snap.

All other comments are welcome, thanks guys!

Larry N8KU

 

Join Support@HamApps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.