Re: MYSQL Connection Error: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/02/2020 12:27 am, Michael Black via Groups.Io wrote:
You may need the SSL libraries.  Install the Win32 Lite package from here (not the Win64 which is for 64-bit executables).

de MIke W9MDB

Mike,

Thanks, but no cigar.

The problem is not with SSL libraries.
The problem is with the new Client authentication method introduced with MySQL 8.0.

The JTAlertV2 MySQL support uses a library that wraps the libmysql.dll client file.
Both the library and the dll are old and do not support the new authentication method of MySQL 8.0.
At this time, I have been unable to locate a new library (I don't expect I will).

I was able to workaround this by enabling Legacy Authentication on the server.

I understand this may not be an option for some MySQL Server users, but it is the only fix at this time.

BTW, this change broke many MySQL client applications when first released, including at one time, the official MySQL workbench app.

FWIW, JTAlertV3 will not have this problem as it uses the official Oracle .NET MySQL connector.