Re: JTAlert 2.14.3 Sporadically Not Responding

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/09/2019 1:41 am, wkjohn@... wrote:
After installing the newest versions of JTAlert and WSJT-X, JTAlert is sporadically non responsive and will temporarily freeze.  The program will eventually start working properly or sometimes will give me the following error message.

JTAlert WSJT-X UDP Communications Failure

Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process.

UDP Port : 2237

IP Address : 127.0.0.1

Values read from WSJT-X config file...

C:\Users\wkjoh\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini

WSJT-X Detected Instance...

Process Window Title : WSJT-X   v2.1.0   by K1JT

Process Command Line :

Decode alerts and logging will be unavailable until corrected.

See the JTAlert Help file for correct WSJT-X UDP setup.

I have attempted to make changes to my virus software, which is Norton, but that has not corrected the problem.  All software was working properly before the latest update.  Coincidentally, Windows 10 performed a major update around this time, so I guess it could have something to do with that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

73,
Keith
WW5G

Keith,

That "WSJT-X UDP Communications Failure" message is shown when JTAlert fails to receive a UDP packet from WSJT-X within the first 2 minutes after starting. The longest that JTAlert should have to wait is approx 15 seconds.

Typically this is shown when a user has an incorrectly configured WSJT-X setup and it will show all the time after each JTAlert start, not intermittently like you experiencing. Your getting this message due to whatever is causing JTAlert to hang (not responding in Windows terminology).

It is very likely it is your Virus protection that is interfering in JTAlert operation. Blocking Registry or file access, preventing spawning of plugins or blocking internet connections are typically the activities that will cause JTAlert to hang.

Sorry, I can't provide Norton specific setup instructions to white-list JTAlert.