locked Re: Help

Michael Black

There's been some change in the 1903 update.
Microsoft had said quite a while ago that they intended to improve time sync.
So after every update I disable Meinberg and see what happens.

After the 1903 update I noticed w32tm was not running (it was in Triggered startup mode).  It's possible my messing with things had this hosed...not sure.
So running any w32tm would fail.  A reboot didn't start the time service either.
There is a new "Sync now" button in the Date & time settings which I could click and seemed to work...but the update frequency was horrible of course.

I made the changes in the link Bill provided but had to change w32time to "Automatic" start.  Once I did that the "Sync now" button is grayed out so it knows that w32tm is running and time was getting synced every 64 seconds to ntp.pool.org.  If I stop the w32tm service the button is enabled again but is not resyncing on it's own (apparently).

So I'm not sure if MS has disabled w32tm now but having users modify the registry is pretty useless.  I wonder if they'll put a "high accuracy" button in them time setting....probably not if I had to guess.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 06:37:13 AM CDT, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

so those are the NTP minimum and maximum poll intervals measured in log2 seconds.

10 means 2^10 seconds = 1024 ~= 17 minutes
15 means 2^15 seconds = 32768 ~= 9 hours

So as I said, unless you have adjusted W32Time service registry alues for high accuracy as recommended by Microsoft here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval (the Registry settings are at the bottom) you are potentially not getting time updates more frequently than once every 9 hours or so. Most motherboard real time clock chips cannot maintain sufficient clock accuracy for WSJT-X modes without corrections more frequently than that, particularly when the machine is powered down. Microsoft do not really want Windows Desktop users obtaining high accuracy UTC synchronization from their NTP time server network as the load would jeopardize the accuracy obtainable to their business users, hence the low accuracy default settings which are more than sufficient for the average Windows Desktop user and keep the MS NTP server's load to an acceptable level (i.e. MS don't have to invest more in a bigger global pool of NTP servers).

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 20/06/2019 12:24, Dave Alexander wrote:

Mini  pole is 10 (0x0ah)

Max is 15 (0x0fh)