locked Re: Help

Michael Black

There's been some change in the 1903 update. 
Microsoft had said quite a while ago that they intended to improve time sync.
So after every update I disable Meinberg and see what happens.

After the 1903 update I noticed w32tm was not running (it was in Triggered startup mode).  It's possible my messing with things had this hosed...not sure.
So running any w32tm would fail.  A reboot didn't start the time service either.
There is a new "Sync now" button in the Date & time settings which I could click and seemed to work...but the update frequency was horrible of course.

I made the changes in the link Bill provided but had to change w32time to "Automatic" start.  Once I did that the "Sync now" button is grayed out so it knows that w32tm is running and time was getting synced every 64 seconds to ntp.pool.org.  If I stop the w32tm service the button is enabled again but is not resyncing on it's own (apparently). 

So I'm not sure if MS has disabled w32tm now but having users modify the registry is pretty useless.  I wonder if they'll put a "high accuracy" button in them time setting....probably not if I had to guess.  

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 06:37:13 AM CDT, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,

so those are the NTP minimum and maximum poll intervals measured in log2 seconds.

10 means 2^10 seconds = 1024 ~= 17 minutes
15 means 2^15 seconds = 32768 ~= 9 hours

So as I said, unless you have adjusted W32Time service registry alues for high accuracy as recommended by Microsoft here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/windows-time-service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy?tabs=MinPollInterval (the Registry settings are at the bottom) you are potentially not getting time updates more frequently than once every 9 hours or so. Most motherboard real time clock chips cannot maintain sufficient clock accuracy for WSJT-X modes without corrections more frequently than that, particularly when the machine is powered down. Microsoft do not really want Windows Desktop users obtaining high accuracy UTC synchronization from their NTP time server network as the load would jeopardize the accuracy obtainable to their business users, hence the low accuracy default settings which are more than sufficient for the average Windows Desktop user and keep the MS NTP server's load to an acceptable level (i.e. MS don't have to invest more in a bigger global pool of NTP servers).

Bill
G4WJS.

On 20/06/2019 12:24, Dave Alexander wrote:

Mini  pole is 10 (0x0ah)

Max is 15 (0x0fh)

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of g4wjs
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:17 AM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Help

Hi Dave,

what instructions are you referring to?

What are the values of the following two Windows Registry keys?

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MinPollInterval
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\MaxPollInterval

On 20/06/2019 12:12, Dave Alexander wrote:

I run a pre release version. The instructions for JTAlert and WSJT-X tell you if you have the version I have there is no need to run another time sync program.

I am running windows 10 home insider preview evaluation copy build 18917.rs_prerelease,19607-1942

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of g4wjs
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:52 AM
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Help

On 20/06/2019 11:30, Dave Alexander wrote:

By the way I have the version of Win 10 that does not require that. It has the better clock in it.

Hi Dave,

there is no such version of Windows. The Windows Internet Time sync has been unchanged for several versions, all that has changed are that the instructions for increasing the accuracy that only used to only be in the Windows Server documentation are now listed for the Desktop versions. Unless you have changed the relevant registry settings to increase the time accuracy you are still potentially only getting a time correction every 9 hours (2^15 seconds).

IMHO the best way to maintain accurate synchronization to UTC on Windows is to install a 3rd party tool like the Meinberg NTP Client and configure it correctly.

--
Bill
G4WJS.

Join Support@HamApps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.