locked Re: JT-Alert not recognizing WSJT-X is running

Edward Dowdy

They’re both running un-elevated.

Ed

Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JT-Alert not recognizing WSJT-X is running

On 17/01/2019 6:37 am, Edward Dowdy wrote:
I did some research in the archive and found it to be a Webroot issue. When the issue surfaces I can close Webroot and JTAlert runs just fine. I can then restart Webroot. Guess it’s time to ask Webroot how to clear this problem. Unless someone else has a solution. I don’t understand why this popped up in the last couple weeks as I have been running Webroot for years.

73,
Ed KA9EES
Ed,

Thanks for the update.

A pure guess... I suspect that Webroot is preventing JTAlert for enumerating the running WSJT-X processes on your PC. JTAlert does this in-order to automatically assign JTAlert instances to WSJT-X instances and and determine the Settings of a running WSJT-X instance to allow for auto-setup of JTAlert to work with WSJT-X. Windows itself prevents JTAlert from doing this if it detects a mismatch in the privileges level of the running processes, that is if WSJT-X is set to run as Administrator. This is normal per the Windows security model, what is not normal is when the interaction is blocked for processes that are not running elevated and they are both operating at the same privilege level. I suspect this is what Webroot is doing.