locked Re: Version 2.10.7 Problem Fixed

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 23/12/2017 7:43 AM, W7JHR via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Laurie,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  Here are the answers to your questions:

1.  I was using the latest version of WSJT-X 1.8 and had not touched it since installing it when it was released.
2. The version of JTAlert that I had been using was the one that was previous to 2.10.7. I don't recall its' release number.
3. All previous versions of WSJT-X and JTAlert had worked seamlessly.
4. I'm very familair with the manual and tutorials.

When my frustration level reached the boiling point, I uninstalled both WSJT-X and JTAlert and re-installed both programs.  Both programs worked worked seamlessly again with the exception of the Band Activity Window which simply didn't show up when the program was running.  After rebooting the program several times it showed up and is working properly.  I hope this helps those who may have experienced similar problems.

Thanks for your software!  I didn't realize how much I relied on it until I couldn't use it.

73
Jim W7JHR
Jim,

Are you running Win10? Unusual and unexpected application behaviour appears to occur more frequently with Win10. Many commentators have attributed this to the Windows "Fast Startup" mode. I have experienced this many times until I read this article
The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode.

Win10 by default doesn't unload certain parts of the OS and some application files when a shutdown is performed, a form of hibernation takes place and this provides for a fast startup. The only way to guarantee that the OS and applications are completely unloaded is to perform a "Restart"

All Win10 PCs that I work on now have "Fast Startup" disabled. While it does make startup noticeably slower, the unusual application behaviours I was previously experiencing seem to have been eliminated, except when Windows has an update pending which only becomes apparent when the Restart is performed (typically because an app is misbehaving)

Regarding uninstalling WSJT-X and JTAlert, that will typically have no effect as configuration files for both are not removed by the uninstall process. Rarely is there a problem with the actual application files.