locked Re: [Ham-Apps] Logging problems

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups03@...>

Hi John,

I will answer you questions in reverse order.

The "Sound OFF" setting being remembered between JT-Alert restarts is implemented in 1.5.1 (due for release today)

The missing B4 log path is by design. When JT-Alert first starts and reads your configuration file, any file specified in the configuration is tested to see if the file exists. If the file no longer exists, the setting is cleared and the configuration will show an empty field. If your field is being cleared, but on further investigation you find that the file does exists, then that suggests that something on your PC is preventing JT-Alert from reading your file system accurately (Virus software maybe) and that will require further investigation.

Your ADIF issue. I assume you are opening the JT65-HF adi log file and editing that in ADIF master. Is that correct?
JT-Alert 1.4.1 never looked at the JT65-HF log file, but 1.5.0 does, but it attempts to open the file once and in read-only mode only (after a Log QSO command) to determine the QSO data. This fileopen action, if it fails (due to permissions or locking) is never repeated and just returns no data to JT-Alert. JT-Alert doesn't open the file in write mode or apply any locks to the file and doesn't alter the adi file in any way. So if ADIF Master is reporting that the file is not of the correct format, then that suggests that a program other than JT-Alert has modified the file, that leaves either ADIF master or JT65-HF.

Having said all that, there seems to be some sort of PC file-system issue at play here. What virus software are you running? Have you tried disabling that. There have been no other reports of this issue, yours is the first, again leading me to think that it is specific to your PC environment.

As an alternative, have you tried logging to a JT-Alert created ADIF file (visit the logging section of JT-Alert configuration) and opening that file in ADIF Master and avoid opening the JT65-HF adi log.

Regards
Laurie, VK3AMA

On 22-October-2011 02:58, g4gcl wrote:

Hi Laurie.

I'm having strange problems with logging using 1.5.0.

I have a very simple setup which works fine with 1.4.1. I just have an ADIF file  and my normal sequence before 1.5.0 was:-

QSO

Log QSO - Fill in details

Open ADIF with ADIF Master and update extra things for EQSL such as comments.

I could leave ADIF Master open and the only thing I had to do was to make it re-read the file so that I could see the latest entries.

Now with 1.5.0 I get an error when I log the QSO and it asks me if I want to quit or carry on & risk data corruption. I usually quit and then spend quite a long time trying to find out what's wrong and load the QSO into the log file.

After this error if I try to open the file with ADIF Master it says the file is not the correct format. If I close 1.5.0 then ADIF Master will open it.

The only reliable way to log is either to have 1.5.0 closed down or use 1.4.1 which has non of these problems.

I really hope that's clear & you have some ideas! One last thing the B4 part seems to have stopped working today and I found that the log file path had disappeared, I've fixed that but I'm not sure if it's working now because of all the time sorting this other problem out. By the way I accidentally said yes to saving the QSO & possibly causing corruption & it added the previous QSO again but with the "m" missing from 10m! Very odd

One last thing Laurie. In future releases would it be possible to turn the sound off and save that option? Several times I have not noticed that it has been on because it resets every time it runs and it occasionally causes the program to crash.

That will teach you to comment about things being quiet!

73,

John.