locked Re: How do you pronounce 73? #POLL

stephen_i@...

Mike,

Spot on... Nobody in NATO or in fact defence EVERY said 73... its more like "F... off.." in Defence ... hehehehehehhe ... no "over and out" was the preferred method in most Defence protocol....

Its a "greeting" .. termination... going back to CW days.... The letters 7 and 3.  As we are governed by the ITU's "Phonetic Alphabet" which we all know by the basic name "NATO Phonetics"... its base.... it should therefore perhaps be the letters "seven" then "three".

Pedantics and semantics....

Yet here in Australia it is frowned upon by many using "seventy-three" - in fact us trainers and assessors are GUIDED to encourage candidates to use "seven three" rather than "seventy-three" (see the Australian Foundation Manual). I believe that our fellow cousins in the UK may also jump all over your for using "Seventy-three"... Yet those on the North American continent I have never heard use "seven three"....

[ Mind you, is there guidance with the reluctance for the WIA to hold regular meetings/briefings for Trainers/Assessors ??? - Oops cheeky Mr. VM !!! ]

Laurie when he initiated this open-ended discussion must have recalled the old argument that RAGED here on VK3 Repeaters for years based off an Australian Foundation-Class Licence Question... "How long is an 80 metre dipole"? There is the English-construction answer and then there is the technical answer... A poor question to be on a Foundation paper ....

As Dwight NS9I points out, perhaps Laurie is being a little cheeky here (and good on him) ;-)