From: TOM-KQ5S <kq5stom@...>
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2017 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] FT8 and LoTW

If you follow the instructions provided by Dave you will UPDATE your existing QSO not create a new one.

1. delete the FT8=>DATA mode mapping from TQSL (in the "ADIF Modes" tab of TQSL's Preferences dialog, select the FT8=>DATA mapping and then click the Delete button)

2. resubmit all FT8 QSOs to LoTW

This resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits already generated by the updated QSOs.

73,
Tom - KQ5S

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Shawn Johnson via Groups.Io <scooter79geo@...> wrote:
Ok .. IMHO I don't think LOTW will turn them to FT8 by them selves. I downloaded to qrz , lotw, my logs as usual everything was fine till I did a download from lotw in qrz. It created dupes in qrz. Because one was ft8 one was data. Not equal. So with that said if you re submit your logs to lotw with ft8 mode you can go look there will be two one data one ft8 when it is all said and done. . Qrz just fixed it so it doesn't import dupes from lotw because lotw won't do it or something to let user take control if one has dupes. Not my first Rodeo on this . Wish I had an answer. But it is what it is.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, August 5, 2017, 3:59 PM, TOM-KQ5S <kq5stom@...> wrote:
Your statement is not correct.  If you follow Dave's process it will not create dupes.  He says

"this resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits already generated by the updated QSOs."

Notice the word update.  It will not create dupes.  I have confirmed this with Dave.

73,
Tom - KQ5S

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Shawn Johnson via Groups.Io <scooter79geo=yahoo.com@ groups.io> wrote:
Only Problem I see with this and have encountered is it will create Dupes In Lotw and we all know once they are entered there is no removing them. so if you import or use QRZ to download from LOTW you will get dupes.. QRZ just recently fixed to not import or add dupes.. with was just so wonderful but now you have a FT8 in your QRZ and if you Add or download from LOTW it created a dupe in QRZ as a data it does add the confirmation too but now the ft8 is not confirmed.. Been fighting with LOTW about dupes but got me know where.. some i have to the exact second nothing different but a dupe in LOTW. If one can figure a way not to have a dupe end up in LOTW during this Ill bee all Ears. for now i had to delete all the data dupes from QRZ till LOTW accepts or adds the ft8. right now i Have 41 dupes that will always be added because it is data mode not FT8. I know thew will not turn into a FT8 when it is accepted   it will be a dupe Data and FT8/

On Friday, August 4, 2017, 1:53:48 AM EDT, Michael Carper <wa9pie@...> wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Dave.  Very helpful.

Mike, WA9PIE

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:35 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
Misinformation posted in the new Facebook "FT8 Digital Mode Experimental Group" led me to post the response below. The content has already been discussed here, but it bears repetition.

        73,

               Dave, AA6YQ

You can and should immediately submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. Confirmations they generate are valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

To submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW, you must first configure TQSL to automatically "map" their mode to DATA. This is a simple procedure in TQSL:

1. Select the File menu's "Display or Modify Preferences..." command (on OS X, select the Application menu's Preferences command) to display TQSL's Preferences dialog.

2. In the Preferences dialog, select the "ADIF Modes" tab, and click the "Add..." button.

3. In the "ADIF Mode:" box, type FT8

4. In the "Resulting TQSL Mode" list, click on DATA, and then click the OK button at the bottom of the tab

5. click the Preference dialog's OK button

Why is this necessary? There will always be a delay between the appearance of a new digital mode, and LoTW being updated to accept that mode. This delay is not the result of updating LoTW being a lengthy or onerous process; this process is actually quite straightforward. The delay allows the new mode's properties to stabilize. FT8, for example, was originally named JT8.

When LoTW is updated to accept FT8 QSOs, will the confirmations or award credits generated by your QSOs mapped to DATA be adversely impacted? Absolutely not! If you immediately submitted your FT8 QSO mapped to DATA, but your QSO partner waited and submitted your QSO as FT8, you'll both receive a confirmation valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

At some time in the future, the ARRL may decide to offer a WAS FT8 endorsement. Such an endorsement will require an "exact mode match", meaning that both participants in a QSO submit it to LoTW with a mode of FT8. If and when such an endorsement is offered, the polite US-based operator will

1. delete the FT8=>DATA mode mapping from TQSL (in the "ADIF Modes" tab of TQSL's Preferences dialog, select the FT8=>DATA mapping and then click the Delete button)

2. resubmit all FT8 QSOs to LoTW

This resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits already generated by the updated QSOs.

In summary, there is no reason to delay submitting your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. By configuring TQSL so you can immediately submit them, you're enabling your QSO partners to quickly gain confirmations and award credits via this excellent new mode.