locked Re: : Logging failure

Joe Subich, W4TV

Laurie,

If I knew definitively which version started exhibiting this
behaviour I might be able to identify a probable cause.
Unfortunately, I did not note when the behavior began as I assumed
it was being generated by issues with the beta and RC versions of
WSJT-X 1.7.0 that I was using.

Sorry, unless I identify a definitive cause of the hangs, they are
likely go unresolved.
I have sent you session logs that followed a crash that occurred while
I was away during the mid portion of today. As typically happens,
JTAlertX stopped responding to anything other than the window controls
while I was away and the only course of action was to close the
Window [X] and then use Task Manager to end the remaining background
task (Audio & Visual Alerts for WSJT-x and JT65-HF).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 1/25/2017 4:33 PM, 'Laurie, VK3AMA' groups08@vkdxer.com [HamApps] wrote:

On 26/01/2017 12:13 AM, 'Joe Subich, W4TV' lists@subich.com [HamApps] wrote:
I find that JTAlert (the last two or three versions) will hang if left
running 24 x 7. Often after the computer has been idle (monitoring)
for several hours. When I notice the hang, it becomes necessary to
use Task Manager to end task and restart JTAlert.

73,

... Joe, W4TV
Joe,

This is the first I have heard of this consistent hanging behaviour.
Hard to guess the root cause if it has been happening for the last few
versions. If I knew definitively which version started exhibiting this
behaviour I might be able to identify a probable cause.

There are several high-use JTAlert users running multiple instances 24x7
that are not reporting this sort of consistent hang.

There has been some problematic behaviours creeping into JTAlert over
the last year or so. The only consistency with the reports is that the
behaviours are random, affecting different parts of JTAlert operation,
different Windows versions, often erroneous non-declared variable errors
or code line numbers, only affecting a small number of users and
non-reproducable in a test environment.

I have long suspected the Compiler used for JTAlert is the root-cause. I
am pushing its limits and the number of hacks and workarounds to
overcome many if its limitations (single-threaded, non-object oriented
constructs, no support for async functions, uses old pre Win8 API calls)
has been increasing. This is why I am currently working on JTAlert V3, a
total rewrite of the code using a modern object-orientated
language/development environment.

Sorry, unless I identify a definitive cause of the hangs, they are
likely go unresolved.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Posted by: "Laurie, VK3AMA" <groups08@vkdxer.com>

Yahoo7 Groups Links