locked Re: HRD V6 Logging abandonment - A brief explanation.

chas cartmel

Laurie

You have my backing 100%.

I have been subject to gross intrusion myself. When I stated that I could see no value added in upgrading from version 5 to version 6 one of their owners emailed me advising that as I was a Private pilot (past hobby) I could afford to buy their software. I responded that they had no right to tell me how to spend my money but was blocked on their forum.

Obnoxious is the word that comes to mind here.

I just wish more people would vote with their feet or wallets.

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

Twitter:@ccartmel

Sent: 29 December 2016 20:32
To: HamApps@...
Subject: [HamApps] HRD V6 Logging abandonment - A brief explanation.

After some "soul-searching", I now feel I owe the community an explanation, even if brief, regarding my decision to abandon HRD V6 logging support in JTAlert, especially to those users directly affected by this decision.

"Bottom-Line", I don't want myself or my software to have any sort of association with HRDLLC the company, their policies or their products.

This decision was a long time coming. The draft for the announcement had been sitting in my email draft folder for over 12 months. I came close to making the announcement on two other occasions in that time, but chose to "back-off", primarily because I knew this would affect a large number of JTAlert users and I felt uncomfortable with that.

The "die was cast" when HRDLLC released HRD ver 6.3.0.435 in October 2015. That release contained malicious code that deliberately shutdown JTAlert on a users PC without warning or message to the user that HRD had performed this unauthorised act. Details of this are publicly available within this groups message archives.

There have been several other events and interactions with HRDLLC over that time that are not publicly known, contributing to this decision,  and I will not be discussing them here or privately.

While the association with HRDLLC was simply that my software had a feature that extended the functionality of HRD in providing a JT65/JT9 logging bridge, I am no longer comfortable supporting (by association) HRDLLC the Company, their policies or their products.

Again, I sincerely apologise to the affected HRD users.

de Laurie VK3AMA

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7924 / Virus Database: 4739/13669 - Release Date: 12/29/16

Join Support@HamApps.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.